Friday, February 23, 2007

Cracking open St.Mark

Mark is the shortest Gospel but it is packed with incident. My NAB introduction says it focuses on "Christology". Apparently Mark was writing, around A.D. 70, for Gentiles.
The introduction says there are four principal divisions of this Gospel. They lend themselves naturally to a ten-day, or so, schedule of readings:

1. The preparation for the public ministry of Jesus (1:1-13)

2. The mystery of Jesus (1:14 to 8-26)

3. The mystery begins to be revealed (8:27 to 9:32)

4. The full revelation of the mystery (9:33 to 16:8)

There are three endings, which I hope to get to by Holy Week!

Tonight I will read the first chapter and see how far I get. Comments welcome.

1 comment:

Yvonne said...

Baptism has always been a very emotional, happy moment for me. When my children were baptized, I wept. When babies and children are baptized during mass, I try to wipe the tears before people see. There is something about seeing this small child, and knowing what this small child is coming into, and reiterating our responsibilities to this small child.

Reading this first section of Mark (Mark 1:1-13) forces me to think about how related baptism and Lent are. We need the waters of baptism to set us free from original sin and we need the reminder of baptism through holy water to remind us. I've never really given much thought during Lent to baptism but is there ever a more appropriate time to think of it?

My daughter wants to know who Jesus' godfather was. :) I told her "GOD!" He's the ultimate Godfather.